On The Beach
- The wetsuit – putting on and taking off
- Leash Secured around the board, fin toward the body.
- Leash attachment – under wetsuit, card pointing outward.
- Warm up – 5 minute simple stretching
- Attack & control; head up & board straight.
- Turning board in waves -back towards waves.
- Lying on the board (Prone) – showing correct trim.
- Catching the wave – toboggan or paddling.
- Riding the wave (prone) – all the way to beach: showing correct trim & control.
- Stopping – slide to the side, holding rails.
- Trimming – small adjustments to correct prone trim.
- Awareness – look left & right whilst riding wave.
- Bottom, fin, leash and rails.
- Leash – why do we use a leash.
- Flags – identifying swimming, surfing & red flag areas.
- Signals – Understanding instructors signals.
Beach Safety & Rescue
- Responding to signals – show quick response and understanding of.
- Distress signal – demonstration and when to use it.
- Falling off – protecting your head, eyes, nose, mouth and ears.
- Buddy system – teaming up & showing awareness.
- Leaving water – inform instructor when you go and when you return.
- Press up – on toes and hands for three seconds.
- Sitting -face beach, sitting on board.
- Airplane – prone position, with arms stretched outwards (wing dips).
- Buddy Boarding – catch the same wave as buddy, at least board length apart.
- Outer Reef Surf Scheme - benefit of membership.
- Outer Reef Surf Scheme – the next step.
- Surfing terms – ‘Grommet’ and others.
- Fitness – warm up exercise, 5 minutes routine.