SLSGB Surf Coach Rescue Course | Lifeguard Courses Pembrokeshire
NARS SURF LIFE SAVING & SURFING COACH AWARD
- To establish a standard, which creates a level of competence in life saving enabling back up to qualified lifeguards
- Be a minimum of 16 years of age on the date of Assessment
- Be able to swim 400 metres in open ocean.
- Be medically and physically fit
- Minimum hours 20 prior to assessment.
VALIDITY OF AWARD
- 24 months from the date of the Assessment,
1. Fitness Test & Releases
Complete a swim of 200 metres in the sea.
2. Lifeguard Skills, Knowledge & Rescue
Demonstrate two releases selected by the Assessor.
In Open Water, demonstrate effectively the ability to carry out the following:
- A thorough knowledge and understanding of all signals
- Swim 100 metres (fins optional) to an unconscious, nonbreathingpatient. Demonstrate deep water EAV during which time the patient shall be deemed to have become conscious. Bring the patient to shore and demonstrate appropriate aftercare. The exercise must be carried out under simulated rescue conditions with an appropriate attempt to perform the rescue ‘as quickly as possible’.
- Rescue an unconscious, non-breathing, patient 150 metres from the shore using a rescue board.
- Demonstrate deep water supported EAV and return with the patient to the shore
- Rescue a conscious patient from the sea (approx. 50m from shore) without equipment demonstrating appropriate patient management and care.
- Acting as a Lifeguard, as team leader and as part of a team, initiate the appropriate procedures at an incident and provide aftercare for 1 or 2 patients from a previously unknown simulated emergency situation. At the completion of the test, complete an Incident Report form.
- As part of a team, rescue a prone patient with a suspected spinal injury and remove to safety.
Demonstrate appropriate action and aftercare
- Answer 5 questions from the work sheets (Beach Environment section) without referring to any notes. A mark of at least 4 is accepted as the minimum score permitted.
- Answer 10 questions from the work sheets (Lifeguard Techniques section) without referring to any notes. A mark of at least 8 is accepted as the minimum score permitted.
- Answer 5 questions from the work sheets (Communication section) without referring to any notes.
- A mark of at least 4 is accepted as the minimum score permitted.
3. Life Support
Using a live simulated unconscious patient (not a manikin) demonstrate:
- Scene safety and assessment
- Turning a patient from prone to supine
- Open the airway & check for signs of life
- The action for vomiting and blockages
- The recovery position and aftercare
- Using a suitable adult manikin, demonstrate CPR and the use of supplementary oxygen via an effective method.
- Obtain an airway on a suspected spinal injury patient using jaw thrust
Demonstrate CPR on a:
- Child manikin
- Baby manikin
4. First Aid
Acting individually, initiate the appropriate procedures at an incident and provide the aftercare 1 patient from a previously unknown simulated first aid situation.
Answer 10 questions from the work sheets (First Aid and Resuscitation section) without referring to any notes.
Complete the syllabus for Assessment:
The Assessment may be completed in sections providing that ALL sections are completed within three calendar months.
Candidates MUST complete Section 1 (Fitness) before completing Section 2 (Lifeguard Skills, Knowledge & Rescue).
Should the Assessment be completed over a 3 month period, the 24-month validity will commence from the date on which the first section was completed.
When the award is renewed, the candidate may complete the Assessment one month prior to the expiration date of the old award. In this case, the 24 month period will start on the expiration date of the old award.